Thursday, October 15, 2020

Communities

I am strong believer of communities. Whether you call it Community of Practice or Competence Network or Learning Network - there are elements of learning from each other, sharing with each other and social networking. 

I am a social person. I like to be close to my colleagues. I like to share my experiences and thoughts with others and likewise I love to hear from others about their experiences and their thoughts. What are the things to try, what are the learnings, what are my challenges, what are their challenges. Good long discussions in matters where we don't all agree and share our viewpoints and opinions. Place where it is okay to disagree and have tough discussions. 

While working as Agile Coach I utilized Scrum Master CoP for coaching sessions. Especially I remember our sessions where we discussed Scrum Values. All Scrum Masters had their first ever position and all teams had just started their Agile Journey. Personally I believe we need to understand principles and values in order to be able to be really Agile. Otherwise we just blindly repeat instructions given for us. 

The Scrum Guide lists five values that all Scrum teams share: commitment, courage, focus, openness, and respect. While discussing I learned so much about each individual. I saw how some of them struggled with these values. We worked in environment where they were not used to be open. Openness instead of hiding problems and issues until the very last moment to be told. That was maybe the most difficult journey they had to take. For me it was important to have these discussions with them

In my Scrum Master positions throughout the years I have participated many Scrum Master communities. When I am there as Scrum Master I feel much more comfortable as then I am one of them. I don't have to be anything else than myself - not a coach or a trainer who knows more. I can ask all the stupid questions or share all my concerns knowing that others are as curious as I am, that they want learn and share. Sharing is caring!

But it is not only learning aspect which make me want to be part of these communities. The social aspect, building relationships, sharing your feelings, getting peer support - all that is very important for me. I don't wanna be alone. I want colleagues around me. 

Today I had meeting with my current colleagues who are soon to be my ex-colleagues. I leave my current position and soon, after a short break, I start new adventure in totally different environment BUT all alone. I don't have any Scrum Master colleagues. Or I do kind of have. Those two guys who I am replacing as they concentrate on their other roles in their teams. I for sure will miss my colleagues and today they really surprised me by sharing their "one words" with me. This kind of community is one of the best. Not because they obviously appreciate me but because we care for each other. 

Reminder for me today is showing your appreciation. Not only when someone is leaving but in your daily life. Even when life is hard you can still find something good in everyone and boost others just by saying "well done". At least for me that brings some joy to myself also. 

Communities are not only for learning and sharing - there are also for caring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment